TurningWheels

Friday, March 11, 2005
  I've landed
 
I've been looking for a job for the past two-ish months (My job loss experience has already been documented). About a month ago I had a phone interview with a company whose product competed with my former employer. They are a very small company, still funded by a few V.C.'s, and growing like a weed. The week after the phone interview, I went in for a face-to-face with the hiring manager, plus four others. At the end of that interview, the hiring manager asked me to come in one more time at the end of February. That interview lasted 4 hours, and included a visit with the CEO. I probably met the entire company, which isn't saying much.

The hiring manager went on vacation last week, so on Tuesday he called for references. Yippee! On Wednesday, he called my references, spoke with one live, then called me to offer me the job... and I accepted. I'm so excited!

Speaking from more experience than I care to admit, the job market today is eternally better than it was two years ago, or even last year. I did not submit one application myself. Every inquiry I got was just from my resume being out on HotJobs or Monster. Several recruiters told me they were specifically seeking out people like me-- cut from my former employer due to the acquisition. Seems like there is high regard for people who work/worked there. It's always nice to have that little boost.

I start on March 28, and I can't wait.

Oh, and as a side note: upon my dismissal in January, I declared that I will reward myself with an iPod when I get a new job. Now I'll have a place to put all my ripped music, and I'll get to take all of my CDs everywhere I go. Woohoo!!!




Comments: Post a Comment