TurningWheels

Friday, October 24, 2003
  What's the dealio?
 
Yesterday I was totally annoyed. Not once did I hear on the news or anywhere about the anniversary of the Beirut bombing. No where.

In fact, what I did see was the President dropping flowers at Pearl Harbor, then the White House likening that day to the war against terrorists.

White House officials drew parallels between Japan's sneak attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 with al-Qaida's attack against the United States on Sept. 11, 2001. The campaign against terrorism was the main theme of Bush's Asian trip, and he reminded the world not to let down its guard.

I found that rather appalling. If I were a family member of one of the victims, I'd have written a letter of disgust to the President (I probably will anyway). Japan attacked under their flag, from a home base, during a major war. Not the same. Beirut had much more to do with 9/11 than Pearl Harbor ever will. Besides sheer size, PH is totally different. I found it a little tacky and very sad to totally disregard a major anniversary that, in my mind, is very relevant to the current climate around the world.

This should have been acknowledged. I feel bad for the families. The media should have acknowledged it, and the President certainly should have said something. Was he just too busy fundraising? Why has everybody forgotten???




Comments: Post a Comment