TurningWheels

Wednesday, September 03, 2003
 
What about all the others?

With all due respect, what is the big freakin' deal about Jessica Lynch? Here you have somebody who joined the military for misguided reasons, supposedly cannot remember much about what happened, and is party to an incident around which there are many unanswered questions.

Why, then, is she of such interest that a book will be written about her life (in SIX weeks!), which comes with a fat paycheck? Won't people question author Rick Bragg's tendency to embellish stories? I'd rather hear about the lives of those who made the ultimate sacrifice, or the soldiers of the 507th who were POWs until after the war ended, freed only when we had Saddam's cronies on the run. What about the rest of the soldiers who were injured in combat, the soldiers who joined the military for the sole purpose of serving their country? I'd like to hear more about the servicemen who fought and died with a green card, and were buried, with honors, as Americans.

I don't understand, I don't think it's right, and I won't buy the book. I have no interest in her life and her story. I'm grateful for her service, as I'm grateful to the hundreds of thousands of Americans who dedicate their lives every day to this country. I'll just leave it at that. With all due respect.




Comments: Post a Comment