TurningWheels

Thursday, September 04, 2003
 
The VRWC

When will the Dems stop blaming their miserable performance on those dirty little Republicans? It's really sad, and Davis should have stopped at "I UNDERSTAND I'M THE BRUNT OF THEIR CONCERN":

Dan Borenstein: GOVERNOR YOU RECENTLY SAID "WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE IS PART OF AN ONGOING NATIONAL EFFORT TO STEAL ELECTIONS REPUBLICANS CANNOT WIN." BUT LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR BUSTAMANTE SAYS THAT VOTERS WHO SIGNED THE RECALL PETITION WERE "SENDING A REAL STRONG MESSAGE TO THE PEOPLE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, ESPECIALLY ITS LEADERSHIP IN SACRAMENTO."

GOVERNOR, WAS THERE A MESSAGE AND, IF SO, WHAT WAS IT?

Davis: THERE IS NO QUESTION THERE WAS A MESSAGE AND THE MESSAGE WAS THAT PEOPLE ARE ANGRY. I UNDERSTAND THEIR LIVES ARE NOT GOING AS WELL AS THEY WERE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND I UNDERSTAND I'M THE BRUNT OF THEIR CONCERN.

BUT I DO BELIEVE THAT AT THE HEART OF THIS, IN THE BEGINNING, WERE A GROUP OF REPUBLICANS THAT WERE UPSET THEY COULD NOT WIN LAST NOVEMBER'S ELECTION. THEY DID TRY TO DO WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO PRESIDENT CLINTON, TO TRY TO IMPEACH HIM IN 1998 AFTER THEY COULD NOT DEFEAT HIM IN '96.

THEY DID IT IN FLORIDA WHERE AL GORE GOT MORE VOTES ANYWAY, IT LOOKED LIKE HE MIGHT WIN THE PRESIDENCY, THEY STOPPED THE VOTE COUNT THERE. [uh, independent recount after independent recount of ALL votes in Florida, including the absentee votes from our armed forces overseas that Gore wanted to throw out, show that the man sitting in the White House is the one who won the election. When will they get over that???]

NOW WE WON IN NOVEMBER AND THEY WANTED TO HAVE A DO-OVER, BE LIKE THE OAKLAND RAIDERS SAYING TO TAMPA BAY, WE KNOW THAT YOU BEAT US THE FIRST TIME, BUT WE WANT TO PLAY THE SUPER BOWL AGAIN.

SO THAT EFFORT BY REPUBLICANS GOT THE BALL ROLLING. BUT THEY DID TAP IN TO SOME GENUINE ANGER THAT I RECOGNIZE. THAT IS WHY I'M FIGHTING HARD TO REFORM THE WORKERS' COMPENSATION, IMPROVE STEM CELL RESEARCH AND EXPAND HMO REFORM. [emphasis and note added]

And then there was this gem:

THE REPUBLICANS TOOK THIS POSITION: THEY WOULD NOT RAISE TAXES AT ALL COST. THEY WOULD RATHER SHOOT THEIR MOTHER THAN INCREASE ANY TAXES.

I SAY THAT FIGURATIVELY. BUT THERE WAS NO CIRCUMSTANCES UNDER WHICH THEY WOULD RAISE TAXES, EVEN THOUGH THEY DID IT, $7 BILLION FOR GOVERNOR WILSON.

Well, now that we got that cleared up.... there is one thing that I have to bring up with my favorite Democrat candidate. I always love it when people say "I would have done XYZ if I was governor." Hindsight-- it's great, no? Well, apparently he would have beaten down the energy companies in 1999/2000:

Asked how he would distinguish himself from Davis, Bustamante cited a point in the electricity crisis of 2001 when the state's major utilities said they would turn off the lights if Sacramento would not approve rate increases. "I think I'd have called their bluff," he said.

Asked after the debate about Bustamante's comment, Davis said: "Let me tell you why I didn't — because we have about 500,000 people in this state that are hooked up to some life-saving machine at home — an iron lung, a dialysis machine — and we don't have their addresses. So if you call their bluff and the lights go out you're going to find some dead people on your hands.

"I'm not going to play Russian roulette with the people of this state," he said.

Wouldn't it have been amusing if Bustamante was the governor at the time and "called their bluff"? Those evil energy companies (at least they're close to evil) probably would have made the situation even worse than it already was, creating more blackouts and problems for our state. At the time, they were in the driver's seat-- Enron was flying high, and the energy companies were the darlings of Wall Street. It's easy to look back and say you would have called them on it, but were they really bluffing? I don't think it's that simple, and for once I agree with Davis: the Governor should not be playing Russian Roulette with Californians. I'd rather pay higher rates (gag) than deal with the consequences of even more blackouts and the possibility of arriving to a point where all negotiating leverage is gone.

Another reason to not vote for Bustamante.

Transcripts from yesterday's debate can be found here.




Comments: Post a Comment