TurningWheels

Wednesday, June 25, 2003
 
Tour de Lance

In two sittings, I just finished Lance Armstrong's book It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life. All I can say is, Wow. It's not the kind of book you read for literary fulfillment. It's just an amazing story that had me questioning why and how things happen the way they do. I believe in God, and I believe He has a plan for all of us, and we're just living it out. As human beings, we all want to know the meaning behind everything, yet many times there simply is no explanation. He can't explain why he survived, and after he was cured his doctors "came out" and told him that he was the worst case they had ever seen, that they felt that his chances of survival were somewhere less than 5%. Scary stuff that would have made the average human being curl up and give in. Not Lance, and as far as he's concerned, not anybody.

Good story, and it ended with just his first Tour victory. All the more amazing that he will race for his fifth straight Tour victory next month, and already has his sights on a record sixth.




Comments: Post a Comment