TurningWheels

Thursday, May 08, 2003
 
Does anybody ever really grow up?

Are We Grown Up Yet? U.S. Study Says Not 'Till 26

The poll found the following ages at which people expect the transitions to grown-up status to be completed: Age 20.9 self-supporting; 21.1 no longer living with parents; 21.2 full-time job; 22.3 education complete; 24.5 being able to support a family financially; 25.7 married; and 26.2 having a child.

I truly believe that these kinds of studies are flawed. Sure, there is probably an average to everything, but can you really tell people that they should "expect" these things at specific ages? Me thinks this contributes to the problem of unfulfilled expectations, especially among women. If you are 30 and you're not yet married, what the hell is wrong with you? According to this study, you're four years behind the marriage curve and 3 years behind the children curve. I just don't buy it. But I don't buy most studies based on statistics (does that mean I don't buy any studies? I'll have to think about that one...)

The bottom line is really this: I'm 31 years old, and I don't ever want to grow up, and no study can tell me I have to. Is that so bad?




Comments: Post a Comment