TurningWheels

Sunday, March 30, 2003
 
I still love baseball

I have always been a baseball fan, long before I really even knew about other sports. It took a long time to figure out what it is about baseball that I love so much, and why the end of the season leaves me a little sad.

It's the season. Baseball means warm weather (unless you're a Giants fan!), it used to mean summer vacation. Some would argue that it's slow and boring. I would reply that it's relaxing and fun. It's good and social. It's the type of game where you can meet the people around you, and still not miss much of the game-- it encourages human interaction. Kids dream of becoming Barry Bonds, and adult men wonder if they should have pursued their childhood dream to become a Barry Bonds. The end of the season means the end of summer and back to the gloom of icky weather, and it meant back to school. This is why I have always looked forward to the baseball season, and dreaded football.

But baseball also pisses me off. The exorbitant salaries, the use of enhancement drugs to smash the ball harder and farther and more often than ever before, the whining, greedy millionaires complaining about the greedy billionaires who made them millionaires... sometimes I just can't take it. Had they gone on strike last year, I would have boycotted the majors forever (I already boycotted for several years after the '94 strike). Literally. But I believe that they knew what was at stake, and they gave it a rest and got back to playing. And I vow that I will go to more Minor League games, where the game is played for the love of the game. In the Minors, it still is what it used to be.

So I am thrilled that the boys of summer have arrived-- this Winter seemed too long. And I will certainly be sad when they hang up their cleats after another season gone by. In the meantime, I think I'll go to a few games. There is no looming strike this year, and the baseball stadium, for me, is an island of pure happiness in a pretty funky ocean.

In closing, I would like to say:

Go A's!
Go Giants! (in that order...)

And, pretty please, can we have another Bay Bridge World Series?




Comments: Post a Comment